I finally did it, I finished the dresser!
My daughter (now 14) wants to update her room. She wants to make it more “grown-up.” Well, I knew that I was going to have to go thrifting to pull off this makeover. She wanted a new dresser, and gave me a picture of the dresser she liked.This dresser was definitely out of my price range, so I started looking in thrift stores. I found one that I thought would work, but she wasn’t real excited about it when I brought it home. What do you think?
It wasn’t the right color, had been embellished with stickers, and was missing several knobs. Somehow I was able to see passed all it’s flaws and notice that it was very similar in design as the dresser my daughter had picked out.
The dresser had a really slick, laminated top. I was worried that the paint wouldn’t stick to it without a lot of sanding, which I DID NOT want to do. I had heard that chalk paint will coat most surfaces with one coat, so I was going to use chalk paint. When I priced the paint, I was disappointed. It was going to cost too much, so back to the drawing board.
My oldest daughter had painted an old laminated coffee table with a flat wall paint. She said the coverage was very good, but you couldn’t wash it off if it gets stained. So, I thought, maybe I could paint the dresser with a white, flat wall paint, and then do a top coat in a semi-gloss to protect it. I bought two quarts of paint, one flat, one satin. I also found some new knobs for the drawer pulls.
The first thing I had to do was thoroughly clean the dresser, and scrap off all the stickers. I removed the old drawer pulls. Then, I started painting. The flat paint covered beautifully. I applied two to the base of the dresser and three coats to the top and the drawer fronts. Next, I used the satin paint for the final coat. It dried very quickly, and I was so pleased with the results.
This isn’t the best picture, but you can really see the difference between the old dresser, and the painted one. Here’s a side by side view…
I had a problem with the drawer pulls – the screws were too long, so I had to add some washers to make the pulls tight. This was an easy fix, and I am so pleased with how the dresser turned out. I only spend $17.50 for the dresser, $25 on drawer pulls, and $21 on paint.
Here’s a side by side view of the dresser she picked out next to my redo – pretty close!
Now I’m looking for a small computer desk, and reading chair, curtains, and a mirror. I also have to buy some paint to change her room color. At least I have one item crossed off her list. And, by the way, she loves the dresser now!