Dresser Project

I finally did it, I finished the dresser!

My daughter (now 14) wants to update her room. She wants to make it more “grown-up.” Well, I knew that I was going to have to go thrifting to pull off this makeover. She wanted a new dresser, and gave me a picture of the dresser she liked.This dresser was definitely out of my price range, so I started looking in thrift stores. I found one that I thought would work, but she wasn’t real excited about it when I brought it home. What do you think?

It wasn’t the right color, had been embellished with stickers, and was missing several knobs. Somehow I was able to see passed all it’s flaws and notice that it was very similar in design as the dresser my daughter had picked out.

The dresser had a really slick, laminated top. I was worried that the paint wouldn’t stick to it without a lot of sanding, which I DID NOT want to do. I had heard that chalk paint will coat most surfaces with one coat, so I was going to use chalk paint. When I priced the paint, I was disappointed. It was going to cost too much, so back to the drawing board.

My oldest daughter had painted an old laminated coffee table with a flat wall paint. She said the coverage was very good, but you couldn’t wash it off if it gets stained. So, I thought, maybe I could paint the dresser with a white, flat wall paint, and then do a top coat in a semi-gloss to protect it. I bought two quarts of paint, one flat, one satin. I also found some new knobs for the drawer pulls.

The first thing I had to do was thoroughly clean the dresser, and scrap off all the stickers. I removed the old drawer pulls. Then, I started painting. The flat paint covered beautifully. I applied two to the base of the dresser and three coats to the top and the drawer fronts. Next, I used the satin paint for the final coat. It dried very quickly, and I was so pleased with the results.

This isn’t the best picture, but you can really see the difference between the old dresser, and the painted one. Here’s a side by side view…

       

I had a problem with the drawer pulls – the screws were too long, so I had to add some washers to make the pulls tight. This was an easy fix, and I am so pleased with how the dresser turned out. I only spend $17.50 for the dresser, $25 on drawer pulls, and $21 on paint.

Here’s a side by side view of the dresser she picked out next to my redo – pretty close!

           

Now I’m looking for a small computer desk, and reading chair, curtains, and a mirror. I also have to buy some paint to change her room color. At least I have one item crossed off her list. And, by the way, she loves the dresser now!

Catching Up

Hello Hello

I thought that I would just do a quick post to fill you in on all that’s been going on in my world lately.

The last post was about the dresser that I found, and planned to update. Well, that project hasn’t moved very quickly. I was hoping to get it finished before we started back to school (we homeschool), but that didn’t happen. I did buy some new knobs, and price my paint, but then I got sidetracked with other projects. (That’s Life)

   

We started back to school and now have two weeks under our belts – yay! Things are going pretty smoothly this year. There were three students, then two, and now only one, so it has gotten a little less stressful. Hannah is starting 9th grade this year. We have been doing a lot of hands-on activities. We have a short day on Fridays, and do Bible, nature studies, and handicrafts. This gives us something to look forward to during the week.

                  

I also had to help host my sister’s baby shower.

This will be her third baby, a girl. Her second child is now 14 1/2 so, we are very excited to have another little one in the family. We are looking forward to the holidays and passing her around! My daughter and I hosted the shower, and wanted to keep it really simple. I made the cupcakes with homemade butter cream icing (yum), and Emily made ham and cheese rolls with a refrigerated pizza crust. Just slice them and bake.

I bought a fruit platter with caramel dip, and a small vegetable platter with buttermilk ranch dip. Since my sister is having a girl, we decided to make pink lemonade, water with lemon, and diet soda (we have several diabetics in our family). I think everyone enjoyed themselves.

So, you see that I have been busy. I am excited to finish the dresser, and will make a post on it soon. We are taking Monday off of school, so I am planning to work on it then. We will see….

Until next time,